WHAT WE DO
Growing Space is transforming urban green spaces into edible teaching gardens for nearby schools and the wider community.
We want to give more people in our community access to direct interaction with nature, inspiring a deeper appreciation and a greater sense of responsibility for our environment.
young people in growing food
improve understanding about where food comes from and how it is grown
positive, healthy eating habits and give children a chance to sample the fruits of their labour
by providing diverse garden-based learning across the KS1 and KS2 curriculum
garden care by setting up a school garden with comprehensive planning, achievable goals and simple tasks
a diverse gardening team, ensuring that we fully represent our community
What we offer
We are based in Kensington and Chelsea, where we are uniquely positioned to connect schools, which enjoy little or no outdoor space, with local churches whose gardens are either underused or could be more creatively shared.
Gardening is a wonderful way to encourage a range of new experiences and skills in children will:
- Learn the basics of gardening – potting, sowing, pruning, and harvesting.
- Be introduced to the world of plants – edible and inedible flowers, herbs, fruits, vegetables, medicinal plants, and more!
- Improve their hand-eye coordination by using tools, weeding and watering.
- Explore basic health and hygiene.
- Learn how the garden impacts our senses through taste, touch and smell.
Most of all, we have fun! As well as getting our hands dirty (and clean again), we have scavenger hunts, prepare and cook meals, and much more.
Outdoor Fun & Forest School
Forest School is a unique experience bringing learning to life. Your children will get the chance to:
- Build dens and other structures – bug hotel, treehouse, tomato castle, wormery etc.
- Cook on open fires with a Kelly kettle or small camping stove.
- Enjoy imaginative play and games
- Create art and handicrafts from natural materials.
- Use tools including pruning clippers, hand drills, saws etc.
- Make a mud kitchen, take part in a treasure hunt or bug hunt and much more
Visit our gardens
We are based in Kensington and Chelsea, visit our gardens or join as a partner.